Friday, November 29, 2013

Text Dependent Questions

Hello Everyone! I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I love having the extra time to spend with my family and slow down from the go, go, go of being a teacher. As I was thinking of topics to include in my blog, I thought about how much attention I have given to math and how little I have given to ELA. One big push with the Common Core State Standards is the use of Text Dependent Questions when reading. Students should be able to respond to questions about what they read providing evidence to support their response. Jackson Consulting gives a checklist to determine if the questions we are asking children are text dependent.

-Are questions that can only be answered correctly by close reading of the text and demand careful attention to the text
-Require an understanding that extends beyond recalling facts
-Often require students to infer
-Do not depend on information from outside sources
-Provide access to increasing levels of complex text
-Call for careful and thoughtful teacher/adult preparation
-Require time for students to process

(Source: http://jackson-consulting.com/text-dependent-questions-cite-answer)

As always when you focus on comprehension at home please practice using complete sentences!

No comments:

Post a Comment